Saturday, June 2, 2012

Good Saturday morning, y'all!

     I was up at the crack of dawn this morning and let me tell ya, it is a strange feeling to be freezing COLD when you know that afternoon temperatures will be flirting with the high 90s! We had a cold front move in last night and I'm actually quite glad because that meant RAIN! Luke Bryan said it best, "Where I come from, rain is a good thing!" We definitely needed it. Anywho, since I got my chores done this morning, I have a scrapbook how-to to share with you!
     Here is a page I recently made using the Cocoa Daisy kit for the month of May, Graffiti Bridge. The colors in this month's kit were perfect for scrapbooking the pictures I've been saving of my MIL! I created this page was created as part of my Design Team Application to Chattering Robins! WooWoo! Let me show you the steps I used to make this page!
 





     Usually I try to make pages quickly because I already have WAY more pictures than I could ever scrapbook in one lifetime, but at the same time I like to give each page a *pop* of interest! To create interest on this page, I chose to do a paint technique using bubble wrap. There are SO many options of utilizing old "junk" on your scrapbook pages. Ordinarily, I would pop all the bubbles on the bubble wrap like a madwoman and then simply chunk it in the trash. Resist! The paint effect is worth it!


     The technique will vary depending on how much paint you put on the bubble wrap and whether or not you choose to add other elements such as more paint, colors, inks, etc. I chose to use one color (white) and to add more paint directly to the bubble wrap using a DRY paint brush after about 2 or 3 "stamps" of the bubble wrap directly onto the cardstock. After putting a relatively thin coat of paint on the bubble wrap, spread the paint around evenly to create perfect little circles. I occasionally leave a little glob here and there for added interest. Gently rub the bubble wrap with your fingers to make sure all the bubbles are sticking to the cardstock and then start at one end and slowly lift the wrap away. You will notice after 2 or 3 stamps, the wrap will begin to create a diminished effect. You can see the diminished effect on the outer edges of the above picture. I think it would be really cool to do this bubble wrap paint technique and then doodle over it! Maybe I'll do that on my next page!


     After stamping the bubble wrap onto the cardstock and blasting it with a heat gun, I matted my photo on 2 patterned papers from the Graffiti Bridge kit and inked the edges and I stitched "1974" on a tag I cut out.
     After that, I played with the layout of the page. It'll be a cold day in July before I sketch before making a layout. I always have good intentions and I create some great sketches, but it is always easier for me to make the design in the moment when I can see how all the elements come together. I do love to use already made sketches though, especially when I am lacking inspiration!

     After finally deciding on this configuration, I inked the edges of a few of the elements and glued everything down! The page was still lacking that "something" when I finished gluing, so I used the little extra strip (that you have to cut off 12x12 paper that has the barcode on the other side) to make a banner to go under my picture. I also added the title using Thickers and Jillibean Soup and some BLING! I LOVE my bling! I have a whole drawer dedicated to it... and some on the shelf! Guilty!

  

 
        
     If you like the bling I used, you can find similar bling at The Robins' Nest !
Here's the finished product...

 
     What do you think? Do you think the Chattering Robin's will like it? Don't you agree that the colors of the picture go PERFECTLY with the Cocoa Daisy kit? Well, I'm off the enjoy the rest of my Saturday outside picking blackberries and walking the fence lines. Hope you have a great day and enjoy this cold spell if you're in the South! :]

                                                          
                                                                             - Leah

No comments:

Post a Comment