Sunday, December 4, 2011

If You Give a Bull a Biscuit...

     Hello! I'm Leah. I've been planning on starting my own blog for some time now and, well, ta-dah! I'm finally entering my last semester of college and I will have a little more time to manage a blog. I'll be posting here about our farm adventures and any other odds and ends we run into along the way! With that in mind, I have a first post to share! :]

     I am currently interested in getting into pigs. I know I sound crazy. We've never raised pigs before, well, with the exception of pot belly pigs just for the fun of it, but I was too young to be aware of the finances of the situation. I've been reading and researching about the ups and downs of pig rearing on other farming blogs and in articles. From the information I've gathered, the two biggest money-eating aspects are a) pig food and b) butchering costs. Since we won't be attempting DIY butchering on our first go-around, the area I'm attempting to cut costs in is pig food.

     One local feed store offers 50 lb bags of feed for about $10 per bag, an amazing price, but the less money spent- the better. So, to make a long story short, I've been calling around local businesses asking for free out-of-date bread or practically free out-of-date bread. Yesterday- SUCCESS! Given- we don't have the pigs yet, but I wanted to see how much free bread we were talking about before buying pigs and getting in over our heads here... and let me just say it was not disappointing! We only took about half of what was offered and it easily filled over half of our 50 gallon drum! If this source stays available, it will significantly cut our costs in pig feed. For now, Bull is pleased! 

-Leah 

No comments:

Post a Comment